Types of Building Permits DFM Will Expedite For You

A commercial building permit refers to a building permit issued by a City, State or County for building, expanding, altering, demolishing, repairing, or even moving a commercial establishment not covered by the residential building permit.

The type of building permit required for commercial projects depends on the nature and type of commercial activity, establishment, and occupancy. Each County, City, or State has a combination of building approvals that need to be met. Some business approvals, licenses, and permits are required before the commencement of a commercial project.

The Need for Other Permits

Other permits are required during the construction phase while others are required before granting the occupancy of a commercial property. In addition to inspecting and issuing permits, some Municipalities, Counties, and States have ordinances and strict zoning requirements that need to be met before approvals and licenses are issued.

Knowing which specific permits and approvals are needed in specific States and Counties is crucial for your commercial establishment. That’s why DFM Development Services assists developers and commercial property owners throughout Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., identify and acquire the necessary permits and licenses required for commercial occupancy.

Below we look at specific building permits DFM Development Services will expedite for you:

1. Commercial Building Permits

A commercial building permit is issued by the local government. A commercial building permit is issued to ensure that commercial establishments, mostly businesses and commercial organizations, keep their employees and customers safe by following and adhering to underlying or existing building codes and standards.

You’ll need a commercial building permit for the following purposes:

  • When making additions to a commercial establishment
  • When building a new commercial establishment
  • Alterations to existing commercial buildings
  • Temporary use and special events of commercial buildings
  • Revisions to an existing permit
  • Demolishing a building, including the foundation

In the Washington D.C. metro region, obtaining a commercial building permit can be a time-consuming exercise that requires reviews and approvals of existing or new permits. Thus, DFM Development Services helps you expedite the permitting process – whether you’re constructing a new commercial building or making alterations to an existing commercial establishment.

2. Raze Permits

Raze permits are issued when a commercial developer or project owner wants to scrap off, demolish, tear down, or even raze an existing building. Commercial developers across the D.C. metro region must obtain a raze permit before demolishing an old commercial building.

Before raze or demolition of a commercial property, a developer must follow or adhere to specific steps, including:

  • Doing asbestos abatement
  • Removing regulated materials like hazardous materials
  • Obtaining raze permits
  • Disconnecting utilities
  • Submitting notifications
  • Rodent baiting
  • Development of site-specific safety measures

The requirements for obtaining a raze permit may vary depending on the specific jurisdiction, but it is a requirement in Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

3. Sheeting and Shoring Permits

When a project requires temporary support systems during excavation or demolition, the project owner must obtain a sheeting and shoring permit. The permit serves as a verification tool to ensure all support systems are installed safely and in compliance with local building codes.

The rules for getting this type of permit can vary depending on where you are, but it’s always important to follow them. In some jurisdictions, paper applications or plans are not accepted. When submitting an application, sheeting information must be documented according to the local jurisdictions’ sheeting permit application guidelines before a sheeting and shoring permit is issued.

4. Site Work Permits

A site work permit is a particular type of permit that allows for the preparation and development of a building site for construction. In some jurisdictions, the terms “civil site work permit” and “site work permit” are used interchangeably. In others, a civil site work permit only refers to the civil engineering aspects of site work, such as grading, excavation, utility installation, road and parking lot construction, and other site preparation work.

The types of projects that usually need a site work permit include the following:

  • Grading and excavation: moving or shaping land in preparation for construction
  • Utility installation: installation of wet and dry utilities, like sewer, water, gas, and electricity
  • Road construction: building roads and parking areas
  • Stormwater management: installing systems to manage stormwater runoff
  • Erosion control: installation of erosion and sediment control measures
  • Site preparation for construction: getting the land ready for building

Getting a site work permit is a requirement for most projects before you start construction. Failing to obtain the proper permit can result in fines and penalties.

5. Right of Way Permits

Most commercial building projects in the D.C. metro region touch on public space. A right-of-way permit is required to protect the impacted public space and ensure the public’s access to the property is not disrupted.

A right-of-way permit grants the holder permission to use a portion of public land during construction, maintenance, or utility work, such as installing pipelines, underground utilities, or constructing new roadways or buildings. The right-of-way permit outlines all terms and conditions for the use of the public property, including the scope of work, duration of the project, and any requirements for restoring the property to its original condition once work is complete.

The permit is usually issued by a government agency, such as the Department of Transportation or the Department of Public Works, depending on the jurisdiction.

It is important to check with your local government agency to determine your area’s specific requirements and definitions. In some instances, right-of-way work may fall under the purview of a “public space permit.”

Other Commercial Building Permits DFM Will Expedite For You:

  • Excavation permits
  • Foundation-to-grade permits
  • Certificate of occupancy
  • Noise waiver permits
  • After-hours permits
  • Tenant layout permits

DFM Development Services doesn’t expedite residential building permits that a homeowner would apply for. We only specialize in commercial building permits.

Contact DFM Development Services for inquiries on commercial building permit approvals and commercial permit expediting services.

About DFM

DFM Development Services is the leading Red Tape Consultancy in the DC Metro Region, specializing in navigating complex and time-consuming regulatory processes for Real Estate Development and AEC Industry Professionals.

From expediting complex building permits and the bond release process to ensuring environmental compliance and precise dry utility design, our tailor-made approach empowers you to confidently move forward with your project, knowing you’ve successfully met all compliance requirements.

Recent Posts

Environmental Compliance

Decoding Wetlands & Their Unique Features

Understanding where wetlands are present and what characterizes them is challenging. An area may appear wetland-like, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it is one. That’s where this article can help.

Read More »

Contact Us

DFM Development Services, LLC

Address: 400 N Washington St, 3rd Floor, Falls Church, VA 22046

Phone: (703) 942-8700

Contact jobs@dfmdevelopment.com for job inquires
Contact proposals@dfmdevelopment.com for proposals

For general inquiries, please fill out the form.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.